What is Hepatitis?
Hepatitis is a viral disease – people often refer to it as “Jaundice” in common parlance. It affects the liver and can cause serious problems if ignored. Due to lack of awareness and ignorance, Hepatitis is a common cause of death in India and across the world.
Hepatitis is of five types:
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
- Hepatitis D
- Hepatitis E
What are the symptoms of Hepatitis?
- Yellow discoloration of the skin
- Yellowness of eyes
- Deep yellow colored urine, pale-colored stool
- Body ache, Headache, Joint pains
- Weakness & lethargy
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea & vomiting
- Right-sided and Upper abdominal pain
What are the causes of Hepatitis?
Hepatitis A & E are transmitted by infected water and food, especially due to unhygienic conditions.
Hepatitis B & C are transmitted via Blood and Body Fluids
- Infected Syringes and Needles
- Infected blood transfusion
- Unsafe / Unprotected sexual intercourse
- From Infected Mother to child
- Unsafe tattoo needles
- Use of infected Razors/blades
What is the Treatment of Hepatitis?
Blood investigations are needed to diagnose Hepatitis and also to know the type of Hepatitis virus causing infection.
Only use the medicines prescribed by your doctor. Do not use over the counter medicines and do not self-treat. It can be dangerous. Beware of quacks and don’t follow the advice of unqualified people.
Do not consume alcohol and tobacco. Maintain hygiene, eat and drink clean and healthy food.
How can you prevent Hepatitis?
Maintain hygiene around you
- Clean your hands before cooking and eating with soap and water
- Eat healthy and properly cooked food
- Get Vaccinated for Hepatitis B
- Do not indulge in unsafe sexual practices
- Ensure use of fresh/new needles and syringes
- Safe blood transfusion practices and procure blood only from authentic blood banks